Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Let's Keep it Simple!


To get you started, I'll put down the recipe for what I'm cooking for my family tonight. The ingredients are super simple, common stuff. This takes about 30 minutes or so. And here's a suggestion - while you're preparing the tamale pie, let your kids get into the scene and work on a salad. I just buy it in the bag & dump it in a bowl. I like to add a tomato and a cucumber, but I don't always have them on hand. Maybe add a little grated cheese if you want.

The recipe below (as with the others I will be putting out for you on this site) is not cut-and-dried, locking you into my own particular recipe. For instance, feel free to make changes to fit your family. Say that nobody, and I mean nobody in your family likes green bell peppers! Then leave it out. Same thing with the onion or olives. If you want low-fat cheese, use that. If you like things low on the spicy rating, leave out the extra garlic & chili powder or at least cut them each back by one teaspoon. Those things are easy little changes you can make to fit your family's particular tastes.

I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does! Leave me a comment and let me know!

TAMALE PIE

1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped

Brown three items above together, then drain excess oil (if there is any).

Now add:

1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can chili beans, undrained
8 oz can black olives, drained & chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning
16 oz. can tomato sauce
½ c. water
1 T. chili powder
2 t. garlic powder

Simmer all of it together about 5 minutes. Pour into 9 X 13 pan. Top with:
1 C. grated cheddar cheese (or whatever kind you like; ex: Mexican Blend, etc)

Now mix:

1 pkg jiffy corn muffin mix according to directions. (Takes 1 egg & some milk)

Spread corn bread mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cornbread topping is done. Add a salad & you’re good to go! Enjoy!

No comments: